EDKINS William Henry
Bill was born 14 August 1880 and married Honor May Booth in 1904. He was a baker when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 6 June 1905 and played football for the Oddfellows and the City team.
In the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 John paid 2 pence an acre on 350 acres - totalling £2 18/4d.
EDWARDS Benjamin Frederick James
Ben was 30 years old and a Native Interpreter with the Armed Constabulary when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 11 July 1874. He was suspended for being absent, on 9 November 1875.
In the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Henry paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres - totalling eight shillings and sixpence.
ELLIOTT Joseph John
Joseph was born 6 August 1870 and came to Cambridge in 1892 working as a labourer on W F Buckland's Taotaoroa Estate. Joe married Honora Healy in 1898 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 11 July 1899, his occupation a labourer. They bought a house in Alpha Street and Joe worked on many jobs including the building of the Post Office and the National Hotel. He was also a gardener for many years. Nora died in 1903 and when Joe died in August 1952, their two daughters had pre-deceased him.
Richard and his wife Frances had a young son, John, who died 2 February 1886. Two more daughters could have been Elizabeth Ann who married William Keeley 1899 and Sarah who married Chas Chase, at William Keeley's residence in 1908.
Frances died 1906 and Richard married Mrs Betsy Vickers in 1911. Betsy died 1918 and is buried at Pukerimu, and Richard died January 1922 and is buried at Hautapu.
Ben was born in England about 1832 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 29 December 1863 in Dunedin. His Regiment Number was Private 1379 and his occupation a sawyer.
In the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Ben paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres - totalling eight shillings and sixpence.
John was born 1824 in Bybury, Devon. He was a gardener, 5' 8" tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 6 October 1863 in Hobarton. He was a Private, Regiment number 354 and was granted one acre of land section 305 in Cambridge West and a farm section 170 at Ohaupo.
EWEN Chapman and Eliza
Chapman and brother Charles arrived in the Waikato in 1868. Chapman married Eliza and with three daughters farmed 'Riverlands' just north of Cambridge. In the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Chapman paid 2 pence an acre on 50 acres - totalling eight shillings and four pence. He is also noted in 1872 on a farm map drawn by Charles Chitty in a report on the district to the Armed Constabulary Commissioner's Office.
In May 1869 Eliza Ewen was one of the first burials in the Cambridge cemetery.
Chapman – "was of an inventive nature and devoted a considerable amount of time to various devices for facilitating farmwork, but the best of all of them is the patent wire strainer which is well and favourably known throughout Australasia," stated his obituary in the Waikato Times, 27 December 1899.
Daughter Edith taught the girls sewing at the Tamahere school in the 1890's and was an original member of the South Hautapu Drainage Board elected in 1907. She was probably the first lady in the Cambridge district to go into local politics. She died in 1939.
Another daughter Maria married W S Brunskill and the family continues in the district.
EWEN Charles and Isabella
Charles and his wife Isabella had a family of seven sons and one daughter and bought their farm 'Claremont' of 300 acres at Tamahere in 1873. They farmed there until 1909 when the farm was sold. Both Charles and Isabella are buried in the Cambridge cemetery.
EWEN Lewis Benjamin
Ben was born about 1856, the son of Charles and Isabella who arrived in Tamahere in 1873, taking up farming.
Ben enrolled in the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers in May 1875 and served for four years. He married Margaret Ann Cecil Smith at St Stephens, Tamahere on 4 July 1881 and they farmed and raised their children at Matangi.
Ben died in 1908 and Margaret 1937 and are both buried at the Tamahere Church cemetery.
Lewis Eyre was born on 6 November 1887 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 5 October 1909.