Edmund was born 24 June 1885 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 12 May 1903. He was a chemist's assistant.
PALMER Ernest Walter
Ernest Walter Palmer was born on 23 April 1886 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 27 March 1906.
Michael was born 1838 in Posskuip, Switzerland. He was a labourer, 5' 10 tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 28 November 1863 in Dunedin. He was a Private, Regiment number 1010 and was granted one acre of land section 80 in Cambridge West and a farm section 36 at Ohaupo.
James was born in Scotland about 1836 and married Ellen Barratt 10 April 1861. He enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 12 October 1863 in Nelson. His Regiment Number was Private 292 and occupation a labourer.
Their children were William James born 1861, Hugh Henry born 1 May 1863, Charlotte Caroline born 1865, George Ernest born about 1867, Margaret Matilda born about 1869, Alfred Edward born 1872, Albert Alphonza born 1876, Francis Robert born 1878, Malcolm Maxwell Vernon born 1883 and Archie born 1886.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 James paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres - totalling eight shillings and sixpence, and was listed as a farmer at Hautapu on the electoral roll.
Ellen died 24 April 1892 and James died 23 December 1892.
Richard was associated with E B Walker and the Moanatuatua Estate.
He enrolled with the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers on 12 March 1872 and served for five and half years as Lieutenant.
In December 1874 the southern half of the Moanatuatua Estate (14,210 acres) was cut off and became known as the Roto-o-Rangi Station. Management went to Richard and he had his house built near the new redoubt (built after Timothy Sullivan's murder).
Richard played rugby and cricket, was involved with the Waikato Hunt and was a member of the Duke of Cambridge Lodge.
On 3 February 1876 he married Elizabeth Read of Auckland and they had a son Richard. Richard (senior) died suddenly 19 November 1877.
The Waikato Farmers' Club took up a subscription, in view of the work Richard had done for the Anglican cause in Cambridge, and a marble font was erected in the church to his memory.
Reuben was aged 25 and a farmer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 26 November 1870. He was married to Maria and they had seven children. A son (the second white child born in the district) was to became Sir James Parr K.C.M.G. who later told that often in the early [eighteen] seventies the farmers of Pukerimu rushed their wives and families, in the middle of the night, to a central redoubt at Comrie's farm, and there they stood guard, carbine in hand, all through the night, against possible raids.
Reuben was a member of the St Andrews Anglican vestry in 1871, enrolled with the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers as a trumpeter in 1872, a member of the Farmers' Club in 1875 and on the committee of the Pukerimu School in 1877. In 1877 he also became a member of the Cambridge & Waikato Reed Band.
By 1881 Reuben was in Te Aroha being a Director of the Te Aroha Quartz Crushing Battery Company and clerk of the Course at the Te Aroha Race Meeting.
Edward was born 24 September 1873 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 7 September 1897 aged 23 years his occupation a shepherd. He was a bachelor and had been in Cambridge 14 years when he married Sarah Agnes Gemmill on 30 May 1898 in the Presbyterian church.
John was born about 1850 and a ploughman when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 14 September 1880. In the electoral rolls of 1880 and 1884 he is listed as a groom and ostler.
He was a barman when he called on his sickness benefit in 1887 for lumbago, 1891 for rheumatism, 1892 lumbago and 1892 for influenza. Emma, his wife suffered from typhoid in 1889 and when John died 23 December 1901, she received £25 from the Lodge's Funeral Fund.
PATON Arthur and Irene
George and Mary Paton arrived in Cambridge in 1903 with their seven sons George, Thomas, Harry, Robert, Norman, John and Arthur. 5 years later George died and Mary and the boys ran the farm. Four sons served in World War One.
Arthur married Irene nee Batkin in 1932 and shortly afterwards started Milton Cattle Breeders Stud and ran the Homelea Poultry Farm. Arthur, although blind, became a Life Member for his work in the Agricultural & Pastural Association, was a member of the Pukerimu Cemetery Board, Blind Welfare and a supporter of the Cambridge Band.
Son Ross, for many years, grew maize around the Cambridge area.
PAUL Jno H James
John was an original member of the Cambridge & Waikato Reed Band in May 1877 and in May 1879 he was in the band of the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers.
In April 1879 he prosecuted Frank Rose for assault but then in November he went to goal in default of a payment of £3 14/- owing to Frank Rose. At that time John was asked to withdraw from the Band.
PEARCE Arthur William G
Arthur was born in 1888 and is recorded as joining the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 16 May 1911.
PEARCE William Wenham
William Pearce was born on 8 July 1885 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 6 April 1909.
Frank was born 20 April 1867 and he married Rebecca Donaldson 6 July 1888. He was a farmer and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 30 April 1889.
Two of their daughters were Ivy, born 1894 and Ruby, born 1896.
PEARSON Hugh Matthew Dunlop
Hugh was born in India about 1831 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 2 January 1865 in Cambridge as a substitute soldier. His Regiment Number was Private 1625 and occupation a cattle dealer.
He married Jane Fleming in 1866 and three of their children were David James born about 1867, Amy Ramsey born about 1875 and Herbert Allan Campbell born about 1878.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Hugh paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres - totalling eight shillings and sixpence and he is listed on the electoral roll as a farmer at Pukerimu.
Hugh was a member of the Cambridge North Highway Board and was proposed for the Duke of Cambridge Lodge in 1871. He joined the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers in 1872 (his wife giving them a trumpet in August of that year) and sold his interest in the Duke of Edinburgh Hotel in Cambridge to Edward Hewitt in 1874.
Hugh co-signed the application for the incorporation of the Cambridge Library in 1879 and in 1880 had 474 sheep and was advertising his General Store. In 1881 and 1882 he came up against the Cambridge Court for assault and arson.
Later, Jane (a widow) married George Jacque Hally in August 1887.
Dan was born in Scotland about 1813 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 25 October 1863 in Nelson. His Regiment Number was Private 348 and occupation a carpenter.
In 1868 Daniel is on the 3rd Waikato Militia Acquittance Roll at the Wellington Archives and his 1 acre town section stays in his name until 1903.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Dan paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres - totalling eight shillings and sixpence.
PEISLEY William Benjamin
William Peisley was born on 4 May 1880 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 2 July 1907.
PEPPERCORN James and Sarah
James Peppercorn and wife Sarah nee Gerring had 6 children - Herbert, Louie, Mary Ann, Albert, Robert Sydney and Arthur - all born in England. The family landed in New Zealand in January 1887 and the next month they were in Cambridge. At first they worked for James Forrest on Hamilton Road, the children going to Hautapu School.
James then leased 'Clements Park' (now Kelly Road) before moving to 'Waiora' on Lamb Street, Cambridge West in 1905. James died in 1912 and Sarah in 1914 leaving 3 sons to farm 'Waiora'. Herbert had married Elizabeth Tucker in 1902 and Syd died during World War One at Messines in 1917. Arthur married and moved away and Albert continued with the farm, excelling at Jersey breeding.
He married Daisy Gerring and they named their daughter Sidney. Albert and Daisy were actively involved in community affairs. Albert was chairman and long term member of the Leamington Town Board and the Domain Board. He was the Leamington School chairman who planted 100 trees around the grounds. Albert played bowls and Daisy croquet. They retired in Tauranga.
James was born in North America about 1840 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 6 July 1865, in Cambridge as a substitute soldier. His Regiment Number was Private 1665 and occupation a seaman.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 James paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres - totalling eight shillings and sixpence.
Arthur Petersen was born on 2 January 1884. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 20 October 1908.
was born on 21 March 1890. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 20 October 1908.
was born on 13 December 1886 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 22 September 1908.
PIERCE Albert Greicia
Albert was born on 9 November 1889. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 22 October 1907.
PLAW Herbert H
Herbert was born about 1865 and a clerk when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 29 July 1884. In June 1890 and 1891 Herbert was in Auckland and called on his sickness benefit as he got bronchitis - 45 days off work £5 12/6 and 22 days £2 15/-.
Anslem was born on 28 April 1885 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 30 January 1906.
John arrived 1 April 1878 in Cambridge, one of eight children born to Vincent and Rosalie. He started his education at the Cambridge Primary School, then went to the Roman Catholic School in 1888.
On the 1899 electoral roll he is listed as a shop assistant and he was a storeman when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 7 July 1903. He became Noble Grand in 1905.
On 27 August 1909 when he married Lillian May nee O'Keefe, John was a grocer, and they had eight children. John died tragically on 7 October 1925 and Lillian 23 September 1970. They are both buried at the Cambridge Cemetery at Hautapu.
PLESCHER Vincent and Rosalie
Vincent and Rosalie Plescher arrived in Cambridge in 1866 two years after the town was founded. Vincent set up his boot making business on the corner of Victoria Street and what is now Hallys Lane.
They had eight children. One son John, a grocer, married Lillian O'Keefe and they lived on the corner of Shakespeare and Wordsworth Street in Leamington. Of their eight children, seven did not marry and spent their days in the Leamington family home.
Vince worked for many years in the Cambridge Borough gardens. Cecil was caretaker of St Peters School. Doris enjoyed her netball as player, coach and administrator for over 60 years. Doris played the organ at St Peters Church and worked for 39 years at the Cambridge Dairy Factory at Hautapu.
Cecil, born 13 December 1914 was the last of the siblings to die in 2003 and is buried in the RSA Cemetery at Hautapu.
John enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, October 1863, in Auckland. The Nominal Roll states he deserted 6 July 1864 and then he rejoined. His Regiment Number was Private 453.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 John paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres - totalling eight shillings and sixpence. A notice in the Waikato Times newspaper in June 1872 said his rates of 12/6d were due on 50 acres.
POOLE William George
Bill was born about 1838 in Portsmouth. He enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia as Private 794 on 4 November 1863 in Dunedin, his occupation given as a musician.
When he was discharged in 1869 he then enlisted in the Armed Constabulary on 10 July - No 403.
He was aged 31 years and a sawyer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 28 May 1870.
POPPLE James Kennedy
Jim was born in Cambridge on 26 June 1884, the son of Frederick and Amelia nee Hogg, local store owners. He was educated at Cambridge Primary School and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 3 February 1903 when his occupation was a storeman. He became Grand Noble of the Lodge in 1904.
The family left the district in 1910 and Jim married Alice Muriel Gray in 1914. Two of Jim's brothers died in World War One - Arthur Percival Glover 1918, and Stanley Norman 1918.
Jim returned to Cambridge with a bowling team from the East Coast in 1938 and the local paper recorded : Mr Popple referred to the days when the site of the bowling greens was the borough gravel pit, and later became the dump for all the rubbish in the town. As a lad, he and his friends had great fun rat hunting among the thousands of oil tins which were dumped in the pit when the borough was lighted by kerosene lamps.'
In 1938 James was licensee of the Albion Hotel in Gisborne and he died there 27 April 1947.
POTTERTON Charles William
Charles was born 2 October 1866. In January 1885 he was bankrupt with £435 owing. He was a carpenter when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 25 June 1889 then in December 1891 he married Cezia Hjorth.
In 1893 Charles took on the job of moving the Baptist tabernacle from the corner of Thornton Road and Grosvenor Street to Victoria Street (near Alpha Street ) for £295.
Bill was born 1826 in Ireland. He was a lithographer, 5' 5 tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 1 September 1863, in Melbourne. He was a Private, regiment number 111 and was granted one acre of land section 481 in Cambridge East and a farm section 47 at Ohaupo.
George was born 15 September 1868 at Thames and in 1897 he married Mrs Harriett Roberts (nee Reed) prior to coming to Cambridge in 1898. They took up land at Karapiro and raised seven children. On 11 November 1902 George became a member of the Duke of Cambridge Lodge.
As well as dairy farming, George kept fowls, bees and an orchard and was one of the first in the district to install a milking machine and electricity. He died on 30 October 1950 and his obituary said He was a hard toiler, a good neighbour and one who carried his fair share of civic responsibilty.' His wife died 30 June 1955 and they are both buried in the Cambridge Cemetery at Hautapu.
John was born 1833 in Ireland. He was a labourer, 6 feet tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia in December 1863 in Dunedin. He was a Private, Regiment number 1244, and was granted one acre of land section 444 in Cambridge West and a farm section 34 at Ohaupo.
PURDIE Charles Walter Scott
Charles was born 19 July 1860. In 1884, as a landscape gardener he had laid off the Te Koutu Reserve in lawns and gardens. In 1896 he tendered for the Cambridge Cemetery upkeep and on the electoral roll was a gardener. On 21 September 1897 when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, his occupation was a builder.