OPENING HOURS: MON - FRI 10 - 4, SAT - SUN 10 - 2.
$ FREE ADMISSION 24 Victoria St, Cambridge , NZ
Explore the history of the local people.SEE ALL EXHIBITS
Historic Cambridge residents with ‘K’ Surnames
KEELEY, KELLY, KERR & KITE are just some of those iconic surnames whose living legacy and landmarks are still a part of our town.
Joseph was born 1826 in Auherzen, Bohemia. He was a farmer, 5′ 11½” tall, and it is said he walked from Puhoi to Owera to enlist in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 6 February 1864. This caused some resentment at Puhoi as the struggling settlement was deprived of some of its workforce.
ref: ‘ Winds of Change’ by Annie Fullerton and Valerie Millington.
Joseph was a Private, Regiment number 1471 and was granted one acre of land section 138 in Cambridge West, buying further farm sections at Ohaupo.
He had married Anna nee TURNWALD in 1852 and they had ten children – Jack, Joseph, Charles, Wenzl, Andrew, Edward, Francis, Annie, Mary, Emilie.
‘Anna, the wife of Joseph landed in time to join her husband for Christmas 1864. With her family of six sons, they carried all their belongings, as well as driving a milking goat and some geese, overland to their new home, a raupo whare.’
ref: ‘Plough of the Pakeha’ by Beer and Gascoigne.
Joseph and his sons were versatile settlers. They grew tobacco and gooseberries and kept hives of bees. In 1883 they were making 270 boxes for honey and they had no trouble disposing of it.
Joseph Karl died in 1884 from a fall from a horse.
KEEBLE Albert Henry
Albert was born 1839 in London. He was a gardener, 5′ 8″ tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 10 November 1863, Auckland. He was a Private, Regiment number 1438 and was granted one acre of land section 345 in Cambridge West and a farm section 6 at Ohaupo.
KEELEY Charles William
Charles was born 22 October 1871, son of James and Ann, and married Eleanor Mary Forrest. Charles joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 5 July 1892 aged 20 years, his occupation a labourer. They later farmed in Taotaoroa, Charles serving on the Taotaoroa and Karapiro School committees. They sold their farm to J R S Richardson in 1913 and then lived in Cambridge. Charles died 22 July 1914 aged 44 years, Eleanor 9 November 1958 aged 87 years and they are both buried in the Cambridge Cemetery.
Giles was born about 1854 (son of Joseph and Elizabeth – below); had been trained in farming in England; and served for several years as a guard on the Great Western Railway in England. After coming to New Zealand he married Elizabeth Perkins in May 1884. She was the daughter of Mr and Mrs J Perkins of Tenby, Wales and had arrived in New Zealand on the ‘Burnabader’ in 1876.
Giles was a farmer and also took on road contracting work.
On 21 October 1898 farms in the Karapiro district were opened for selection and Giles and Elizabeth were balloted two sections. As their sections were adjacent they built their house on the boundary to fulfil the Lease in Perpetuity agreement of living on their sections. They farmed there until their deaths – Giles on 18 July 1913 and Elizabeth on 6 April 1925. Their descendants still farm the property.
They had one son John Perkins Keeley who married Esther Moore on 14 April 1926 and they in turn had a daughter Nancy and a son Barry.
KEELEY James and Ann
James (son of Joseph and Elizabeth – below and baptised 1 May 1845) married in Longmarston, Gloucestershire to Ann Jarrett on 19 November 1870. They arrived in New Zealand on the ‘Alumbagh’ in 1875, with their children Charles, Annie and James  jnr.
They had seven more children (James , Emma, Leslie Thomas, Louie, Joseph, Mary Elizabeth and Mabel) and Ann, as midwife, helped many other babies into the district.
James had been head gardener at Sir James Rankin’s estate in the Midlands, England, where he had charge of the gardens, hot houses and a team of 40 gardeners. He started Keeleys’ Nursery in Cambridge West in 1875 and did landscape work in Cambridge and Hamilton. The original acre was on the corner of Shakespeare and Thompson Streets.
He took a keen interest in public affairs and was later dubbed ‘The Father of Leamington’. Through his efforts as an active temperance worker, there was never a licensed hotel on the West side of Cambridge during his lifetime – or indeed until the Tavern in 1974! He served on the Waipa County Council, Pukekura Road Board and Leamington Town Board. He had a big part in setting up the Leamington Domain Board and the laying out and planting of the grounds.
James was always to the fore in the promotion of Cambridge West. In 1905 he was instrumental in having ‘Leamington’ separated from the Pukekura Road Board and with Hugh Fitzgerald (it is said) had the Leamington streets named after authors and poets.
It is said also that he was the first to walk over the Victoria Bridge when it opened on the 21 December 1907.
After World War One, Tom Keeley returned and joined his father in the business and the firm became Keeley & Son. In 1918 a grandson, Leslie Ivan ‘Ike’ McKinnon, joined them and remained until 1935. Tom remained until his death in 1955 and the nursery was taken over by his sons, Arthur and Ron Keeley. In 1960, Ike and Les McKinnon (sons of Alex and Emma nee Keeley) took over the firm, changing the name to McKinnon Brothers. Les died in 1970 and Ike closed the business a year later.
James Keeley died 19 December 1922 and is buried in Leamington cemetery. Ann – known far and near as a nurse of exceptional ability – married for a second time to George Hall in March 1924. She died in Hamilton, 19 April 1932.
KEELEY Joseph and Elizabeth
Joseph was baptised in Ilmington, Warwickshire on 2 June 1824 and married Elizabeth Johnson at Ilmington on 14 May 1844. (Elizabeth was baptised also at Ilmington on 5 June 1821.)
Joseph, Elizabeth and some of their children left London on 9 May 1875 on the ‘Alumbagh’ and 100 days later arrived in Auckland, New Zealand on 17 August 1875. They then settled in Cambridge West (now Leamington) and lived in Browning Street.
Joseph’s occupation was a gardener and by 1879 he had the freehold of section 325 in Cambridge West with a house. He died on 12 February 1904 aged 80 and Elizabeth died 23 July 1914 aged 93.
Daughter Kezia was born about 1849. She was a dressmaker in Cambridge when she married in April 1877 to Henry Newcombe. When Kezia died c1896 they had 7 children and she is buried in the Leamington cemetery.
Daughter Elizabeth was born about 1859 and married in New Zealand in May 1879 to Robert Montgomery. Robert died of tetanus on the 17 August 1880 leaving Elizabeth with one son Joseph. She was a dressmaker according to the Electoral Roll and died 23 November 1929 aged 71.
Son William ‘Bill’ was born about 1863 and married in Cambridge to Elizabeth Ann England on 30 March 1899. They had a daughter Blanche and a son Harold. Bill was engaged in contracting work and at one time drove the stage coach between Cambridge and Rotorua. They retired to Hamilton and Bill died 28 April 1917 aged 54, and Elizabeth in April 1940.
Son Frederick, born 6 November 1865, married in New Zealand in April 1893 to Blanche Campbell. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 29 August 1893 aged 28 years. He learnt the saddlery trade and enlisting with the Main Body in WW1 served until the armistice in 1918. Their only son William Frederick enlisted in October 1917 and was killed on 1 October 1918. Fred (snr) died at Matangi, 4 July 1950 and is buried at Leamington Cemetery.
Daughter Emma was born 9 February 1855 and joined the family in New Zealand in 1882 arriving on the ‘Roman Empire’. She married in Cambridge West to Joseph Chambers on 18 January 1883 and died in 1939.
Joseph Keeley was born on 19 September 1886 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 16 July 1907.
KELLY Arthur Edward
Arthur Edward Kelly was born on 17 October 1886 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 16 November 1909.
KELLY Henry Alfred
Born 1 July 1884 the son of Thomas and Elizabeth nee Crawford. He was a labourer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 31 March 1903. He took advantage of his sickness benefit at the end of December 1903 and again in September 1904 when he injured hs finger.
Pat was born in Ireland about 1840 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 29 September 1863 in Dunedin, Regiment No. Private 222. He was 5′ 7″ tall and his occupation a butcher.
His land grant was one acre of land section 456 in Cambridge East and a farm section 9 at Ohaupo.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Pat paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres – totalling 8/6d. Rates due in 1872 amounted to 12/6d for 50 acres.
Bill was born 1847 in London, England. He was a carpenter, 5′ 9½” tall when he enlisted, as a substitute for MULLAGHAN in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 22 October 1866, in Cambridge. He was a Private, Regiment number 1744 and was granted one acre of land section 249 in Cambridge East and a farm section 91 at Ohaupo.
KENNEDY John (Joseph)
John was born 1842 and was a harness maker. He was 5′ 4″ tall when he enlisted as a substitute for GRANT in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 20 August 1864 in Auckland. He was a Corporal, Regiment number 1582 and was granted one acre of land section 491 in Cambridge West and a farm section 2 at Ohaupo.
He attended the inquest on George Wilson, who he had found on 18 May 1866, lying on the floor with a rifle pointing to his chest. He had known Wilson for 18 months and believed him to be insane.
The Waikato Times recorded on 14 December 1880 that the partnership between J Kennedy with William Ward as Potters and Brickmakers was dissolved.
Thomas Keohan was born about 1845 in Waterford. He enlisted as a substitute soldier in the 3rd Waikato Militia – Private 1661 – on 22 May 1865 in Cambridge, his occupation a shoemaker.
Thomas Kerhean was aged 19 years and a shoemaker when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 28 May 1867.
An item in the Waikato Independent on 21 December 1905 reads – “Mr T Keohan, who was a member of the 3rd Waikato Regiment, has called at our office and requested us to bring under the notice of those whom it may concern, the fact that the grave of Dugald Stuart E McColl, who was an ensign in the regiment, has been allowed to fall into disrepair. It is interesting to note that the slab which denoted the spot where McColl is buried was carved by Colonel S Newall, who is now secretary to the Commercial Travellers Association, Wellington”.
Tom died at Waikino in October 1907.
Henry was born in Howick and left school aged 13 years. He went in for agricultural work and came to Cambridge in 1874 to work for McLean & Co at Fen Court. He then drove coaches for W K Carter between Hamilton, Cambridge and Rotorua.
On 16 May 1877 Henry was at the first meeting of the Cambridge & Waikato Reed Band. On 28 October 1879 he was 23 years old and a coachman when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge. He had married Anna Thompson in August the same year. (His brother William married Anna’s sister, Mary Thompson also in 1877. William died 1879.)
About 1890 Harry and Anna became the proprietors of the Masonic Hotel then in 1894 they took over the ‘Criterion’ (Central) Hotel. At this time Harry served on the Cambridge Borough Council, the Hospital Board, was on the Library Committee and president of the Cricket Club.
They retired in 1899 and left the district for Auckland about 1902. Henry died 1928 and Anna a year later.
KERR Robert J
Robert was 27 years old when he married Lucy Martin in May 1875. About a year later their daughter Florence was born in Cambridge.
Robert was a carpenter when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 14 October 1879. He died 4 October 1902 and is buried at the Cambridge Cemetery, Hautapu.
Lucy remained the owner/occupier of their Hamilton Road property until 1912.
Charles was born 1828 in Quainton, Buckinghamshire. He was a miner when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 8 October 1863 in Dunedin. He was a Private, Regiment number 555 and was granted one acre of land section 211 in Cambridge West and a farm section 22 at Ohaupo.
Jonathan and Mary Kingdon arrived in New Zealand from Cornwall on the ‘Celestial Queen’ in 1872 with six of their ten daughters. Elizabeth, Jane, Rebecca, Susanna, Emma and Sarah. Two more daughters, Annie and Maria followed with their husbands. The daughters all went forth and multiplied and their son James, a blacksmith, was also encouraged to follow.
James Kingdon had married Elizabeth Jane Wendon in 1868 and they arrived in Cambridge West in 1880. They had six children who all went to the newly opened Cambridge West School.
James established his blacksmith on the corner of Shakespeare and Cook Streets and was a member of the original Leamington Town Board in 1908.
Jonathan was a farm labourer employed by William Reynolds (also from Cornwall) at Pukekura. Until Jonathan’s death the whole family would congregate for a picnic around Christmas time and this would number over one hundred friends and family. Jonathan died 4 November 1896 and Mary 23 October 1904.
John was born in Ayrshire Scotland about 1838 and arrived in New Zealand on the ‘Mermaid’ in 1860. He enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia in Cambridge as a Private, substitute soldier and became the Pay Sergeant. He joined the Alpha Waikato Lodge, No.449, I.C., and was a Freemason in Cambridge in 1866 where he built the first store and a hotel.
He married in 28 March 1867 to Mary Graham in Auckland and they had three daughters. John soon saw the potential of Duke Street and cut his acre section up for shops. On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 he paid 2 pence an acre on 200 acres – totalling £1 13/4d and it wasn’t long before he had consolidated absentee soldiers’ 50 acre grants, selling 750 acres to Taylor in 1875.
The family went to live in Auckland .
Robert was born in Ayrshire about 1839 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 30 December 1865 in Cambridge as a substitute soldier. His Regiment Number was Private 1677 and occupation a grocer. He joined his brother John in his store and the Alpha Hotel. When he joined the Alpha Waikato Lodge, No.449, I.C. and Duke of Cambridge Lodge in 1867 his occupation was a grocer.
The Alpha Hotel in Alpha Street was sold to James Hally and Robert then ran the Duke of Cambridge Hotel in Duke Street. On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Robert paid 2 pence an acre on 24 acres – totalling four shillings.
15 September 1879 he married Jessie Hally and they had two children, Helen born 8 September 1880 and a son born 7 July 1882 . They built a house on the opposite side of Duke Street from the hotel, known as ‘The Sanatorium’ and later ‘Wainoni’ Boarding House. (Burnt down 1923).
For ten years Robert was a member of the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers as a Sub Lieutenant. He farmed 713 acres at Tamahere and from 1878-1884 he was a Trustee of the Cambridge Cemetery. He was also a member of the Cambridge North Highway Board and in 1880 on the first Cambridge Domain Board.
In 1881 he was treasurer of the Cambridge Ploughing Club, 1882 on the Cambridge East Town Board, 1883 on the committee of the Cricket Club. 1885 president of the Cambridge Football Club and on the Cambridge Athletic Club committee. In 1890 he was a Cambridge Borough Councillor. He was 56 years old when he died of cancer on 3 July 1898. Jessie later lived in Auckland, dying in 1935 and they are both buried in the Cambridge cemetery at Hautapu.
Charles was born 27 July 1873, the son of Samuel and Sarah nee Wooten. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 28 March 1893 aged 18 years and later his wife was entered as Anne. (Mary Ann Moisley, married May 1899.) Charles called on the Lodge’s sickness fund in June 1897 for a hand injury and again in June 1900 – again for a hand injury. On the 1899 electoral roll he is listed as a ploughman.
KITE James Walter
James was born 26 August 1880 the son of Samuel and Sarah nee Wooten, and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 21 February 1899 aged 18 years. He was Noble Grand in 1907 and 1908. In 1902 he sailed with the 10th Contingent, Private 8579, to the South Africa War.
On his return he married Winifred Mary Norris (daughter of George and Susanna nee Kingdon) 16 September 1903. Winifred had been born at Hautapu in 19 December 1881 and on leaving school helped her Aunt Sarah Garland with her large family.
They farmed at Hautapu before buying a farm at Kaipaki and they raised six children. James did not have good health and died 22 October 1934. Winifred died 28 April 1974 aged 92 years. They are both buried at Pukerimu cemetery.
KITE John Harvey
John was a twin, born 27 September 1877, shortly after his parents Samuel and Sarah nee Wooten had arrived from England. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 21 April 1896 aged 18 years. He was a labourer on W G Park’s Puahue Estate and called on the Lodge’s sickness fund in 1902 for 14 days with lumbago.
He later worked in Ohaupo and remained a bachelor. John died April 1956.
Tom was born 26 December 1865 the son of Samuel Kite and Sarah nee Wooten. He was a storeman when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 27 January 1885 and his wife was Emma Mahala nee Peek.
He was Noble Grand in 1888 and 1897 and elected Captain of the newly formed Cambridge Volunteer Fire Brigade in 1904.
KITE William Henry
William was born 27 November 1876 the son of Samuel and Sarah nee Wooton. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 12 January 1897 aged 20 years and his occupation was a labourer. In January 1903 he married Emma Bell.
George was born 1834 in Hesse, Darmstad. He married Helen FIFER in 1858 and they had a daughter and two sons. George was a shoemaker when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 22 Sept 1863 in Melbourne. He was promoted to Corporal on 4 May 1864, Regiment number 38. George was granted one acre of land section 202 in Cambridge West and a farm section 35 and part of 118 at Ohaupo.
In 1882 he married Martha Matilda MILLAR who died in June 1894.
George signed a petition in 1891 to have Dr Waddington remain in the Waikato.
John was born 1838 in Howick, New Zealand. He was a potter, 5′ 8″ tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 31 December 1863 in Howick. He was a Private, Regiment number 1173, and was granted one acre of land section 156 in Cambridge West and a farm section 26 at Ohaupo.
KRIPPNER Johannes (Hans)
Hans was born 1831 in Chotiechau, Bohemia. He was a blacksmith, 5′ 8″ tall, when he walked from Puhoi to enlist in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 6 February 1864 at Owera.
Hans was a Sergeant, Regiment number 1469 and was granted one acre of land section 152 in Cambridge West and farm sections parts 114 and 115 at Ohaupo.
Hans married Elizabeth nee TURNWALD and she died in 1907. Their children were Harriet Agnes Ida (Agnes or Aggie), who married George Cecil DEVEREUX in 1903, and Rudolph.
Hans died 14 September 1918 at Ohaupo.
Martin was born on 23 September 1817 in Mantau, Bohemia, the son of Johann & Anna. He later joined the Imperial Austrian Army and married Emily Longdill – their children were Fritz, Herman, Rudolph, Anna Maria and Agnes who they adopted.
They came to New Zealand on the ‘Lord Burleigh’ in 1860 and took up land at Orewa, 25 miles north of Auckland. In 1863 Martin organised a ship load of Bohemians to come to New Zealand on ‘War Spirit’ (ref: ‘A History of Puhoi’ – D V Silk).
Martin was offered a commission in the 3rd Waikato Militia, which he joined on 17 October 1863 at Orewa. He was asked to form a Company out of his newly arrived countrymen at Puhoi so he recruited all the single men and five of the married men.
Officers commanding other Companies of the Waikato Militia were directed to transfer all Germans serving in their Corps to Captain Krippner’s Company. Also included were men of other nationalities who spoke German. His force remained in the Albert Barracks in Auckland until 29 October 1863 when the company, now numbering 48, marched to the Otahuhu Barracks. They were assigned to guarding the Maori prisoners from Rangiriri etc in the prison ships in Auckland Harbour. This Company of the 3rd Regiment had by now been nicknamed the ‘German Company’ and reached Pukerimu aboard the Rangiriri on 29 July 1864.
In 1865 he organised the building of a redoubt at Ohaupo (ref: ‘Plough of the Pakeha’ – Beer and Gascoigne 1975).
Martin’s one acre section 153 was in Cambridge West (Leamington) and his farm sections were at 117 Ohaupo.
Martin left Ohaupo in 1866 never having lived on his land.
He died 1 February 1894 and is buried at Warkworth.
Michael was born 1825 in Chotiechau, Bohemia. He was a soldier, 5′ 10½” tall when he walked from Puhoi to Owera to enlist in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 6 February 1864. The Ohaupo book ‘Winds of Change’ by Millington and Annie Fullerton record that this caused some resentment at Puhoi as the struggling settlement was deprived of some of its young workforce.
Michael’s Regiment number was 1470 and he was granted one acre of land section 165 in Cambridge West and a farm section 116 at Ohaupo.
He married Barbara SCHISCHKA and their children were Emily, John and Anna who married James T EDWARDS.
‘Plough of the Pakeha’ by Beer and Gascoinge records that in 1865 they were the first to buy a cow.
KROGMAN William George
Bob Krogman was born on 29 May 1993 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 3 October 1911.