OPENING HOURS: MON - FRI 10 - 4, SAT - SUN 10 - 2.
1867 the Armed Constabulary Act was passed in New Zealand and the Waikato Militia disbanded. An Armed Constabulary Officer wore a peakless blue cloth cap with silver lace band 1¾” (45 mm) wide, a blue…Read More
“Minutes of a meeting held 16 May 1877 in the Orderly Room [of the Armed Constabulary redoubt] at Cambridge for the purpose of forming a band. Fourteen gentlemen were present. Proposed by Mr Brennan and…Read More
A concrete ‘bunker’ halfway down the ‘Buckland Track‘ in the Cambridge Domain and a large depression in the ground behind the old railway station, are all that remain – other than the stories of the…Read More
The first game of bowls in Cambridge was probably played on Martin McDermott’s lawn in Queen Street in October 1898. In December 1899, the Domain Board gave the Club permission to play in the Domain…Read More
The brewery in Brewery (now Empire) Street provided a service to the district for many years producing vats of pure amber beer and cordial. In the 1940s it was suggested as an air raid shelter…Read More
Marianne Estelle BRIDER formerly THOMSON nee DAVIS Marianne Estelle was born in Bournemouth, England to James and Frances Anne Davis c1873 and came to New Zealand c1919. Marianne Estelle was the granddaughter of Rev Richard…Read More
Samuel Howard was advertising his business ‘Cambridge House’ in Victoria Street, Cambridge in 1893. He advertised goods such as Men’s Colonial Tweed Suits for thirty shillings. Beaver Mole Trousers, 8s 9d. Fern Boots made specially…Read More