$ FREE ADMISSION

Opening Hours: Mon – Fri 10am – 4 pm, Weekends and Public Holidays 10am – 2pm.

Opening Hours: Mon – Fri 10am – 4 pm, Weekends and Public Holidays 10am – 2pm.

$ FREE ADMISSION   24 Victoria St, Cambridge , NZ | CONTACT

You Are Here:

  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Courthouse and Museum

Courthouse and Museum
    -  

Once a place of hearings, disputes, and judgement, this building now welcomes visitors as the Cambridge Museum. Completed in 1909, the courthouse was designed by Government Architect John Campbell in the Neo-Classical style favoured for public buildings across New Zealand in the early twentieth century. Its balanced brick façade, Ionic columns, and the royal cipher “ER” of King Edward VII were deliberate signals of authority and civic order.

Constructed by local builder Fred Potts, the interior still has much of its original character. Kauri board ceilings, varnished rimu dados, and tiled fireplaces can still be seen within the museum.

Cambridge Courthouse, early 1900s

Courthouse, Cambridge, New Zealand, 1909, Cambridge, by Muir & Moodie. Purchased 1998 with New Zealand Lottery Grants Board funds. Te Papa (PS.001028)

 

Line drawings of the Cambridge Courthouse buildings

Copy of the Cambridge Courthouse plans

 

Court in Action (1909–1979)
For seventy years the building housed the Magistrates Court. Lawyer David Jeck recalled its monthly sittings dealing with “the odd drunk in charge… traffic cases… and overtaking offences,” alongside custody disputes and debt hearings known informally as the “agony court.” Much of the work reflected ordinary community tensions rather than major crime.

 

Inside the Cambridge Courthouse in May 1968

This photograph was taken on 28 May 1960. It shows the Magistrate Mr E S Tuckwell. S M and stenographer Margaret Ennis, the Court Registrar Mr J A Petrin, together with police traffic officers and the press. From the “Cambridge Independent”, 30 May 1968

By 1969, the court facilities were becoming inadequate. It was reported that the court romm was heted by only one small fire and the Magistrate had to shift his heater (which he had provided himself) from room to room.

 

Closure and New Life (1979–Present)
Court functions ceased in August 1979 when all local court hearings were moved to Hamilton. In 1983 the Cambridge Borough Council negotiated to buy the building and some of the land from the New Zealand Police Department. The former courthouse now accommodates the Cambridge Historical Society’s Museum.

 

Cambridge Museum