Temporary Building Closure from 6 June for Seismic Strengthening Work
Learn about the history of town and its districts, schools and roads over the years.View more
Within a decade of settlers taking up farmland in 1865, a school was needed. The residents offered to build a school at their own cost if the Auckland Education Board would provide a teacher and the furniture. Land was donated by Robert Fisher.
The first committee was Dan Caley chairman, Joseph Gane secretary, John Fisher, E B Walker and Archibald Wallace. The building was opened 23 January 1876 and consisted of a room 30 feet by 18 feet with a porch attached. A house for the teacher Mr Olby, was completed January 1877.
The next teacher, Mr Bedford arrived in June 1877. Mrs Bedford was employed to teach two hours daily for an allowance of £30 per annum.
The Attendance Roll for July 1878 – June 1879 includes the following names:
George Henry Atkinson
Alfred Ernest Bedford
Mary Ann Parr
(If you find something of interest please click here to contact us.)
Researched and written by Eris Parker
Ref: Cambridge Museum Archives