Opening Hours: Mon – Fri 10am – 4 pm, Weekends and Public Holidays 10am – 2pm.

Opening Hours: Mon – Fri 10am – 4 pm, Weekends and Public Holidays 10am – 2pm.

$ FREE ADMISSION   24 Victoria St, Cambridge , NZ | CONTACT

Cambridge Town

Learn about the history of town and its districts, schools and roads over the years.

View more

Historic Cambridge residents with ‘Y’ Surnames


James was born in Dundonald, Ireland on 20 March 1836, where he was later apprenticed to a blacksmith and wheelwright. He arrived in New Zealand on the ‘Northern Bride‘ in 1860. He served in the Militia during the Land Wars and then went gold mining at Thames for eight years. After that he worked on the Matamata Estate and arrived in Cambridge in 1877.

He started in the wheelwright business in partnership with Mr Nixon, and was an original member of the Cambridge & Waikato Reed Band in May 1877.

He married Emma McCrea on 29 December 1882 and they had ten children. James was an early Vestryman at the Anglican Church and served from 1888 to 1891 on the Cambridge Borough Council.
James died 19 March 1926 and Emma 2 May 1945.

YOUNG James Thetford

James Thetford Young was born on 17 August 1890 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 8 March 1910


While all due care has been taken to verify information contained on this site, the Cambridge Museum accepts no responsibility for any errors, omissions or misrepresentation.

Copyright © 2003 – Cambridge Museum – All Rights Reserved.