BY APPOINTMENT ONLY - UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Explore the history of the local people.SEE ALL EXHIBITS
Historic Cambridge residents with ‘V’ Surnames
VINCENT, VOGEL & VOSPER. This is a list of our historic residents, who’s surnames start with the letter V.
Thomas Vanes was born on 12 July 1872 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 25 July 1911.
Bill was born 1841 in Bridgewater, Somersetshire. He was a mariner, 5′ 2″ tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 19 December 1863 in Auckland. He was a Private, Regiment number 1356, and was granted one acre of land section 548 in Cambridge West and a farm section 171 at Ohaupo.
George was born 22 August 1872 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 15 September 1891 aged 19 years. His occupation was a painter.
VOGEL Franz Leopold
Franz was born 1824 in Reicherly Bohemia. He was a cloth finisher, 5′ 9″ tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 28 September 1863 in Auckland. He was a Private, Regiment number 580, and was granted one acre of land section 249 in Cambridge West and a farm section 1 at Ohaupo.
Franz was the father of Anne Adelaide, born 1845, who married on 28 March 1865 to Lambert William LOVEDAY.
Franz was at the inquest of William YESS who was shot at Ohaupo. He had known William for 2 years – he was very saving – always wore a silver watch and chain with name engraved. (Inquest J1 National Archives in Wellington)
‘Dingley Dell’ was originally the headquarters for Every Maclean’s Maungatautari operations. After purchasing this block in 1874 Maclean bought up Military sections and established ‘Dingley Dell’ in 1877. The name came from a popular Dickens novel and was given by Maclean.
William Vosper arrived in New Zealand in 1873 and joined the Macleans at ‘Bleakhouse’ in Auckland. After managing their farm at Pakuranga he moved to Cambridge as manager of ‘Dingley Dell’.
Ultimately he was able to purchase the land and then add more titles.
In 1885 William married Grace Roberts and they raised a family of eight children – Francis Samuel, George Harold, Freda, Jessie, Elsie, Maud, Allan (died as a young lad in 1905) and Gordon who married Helen Crowther.
The house is the third on the property. The first cottage belonging to William Vosper was burnt in May 1884 while he attended a church service in Cambridge.
The second, a large villa-styled home, was burnt the night of the Hunt Ball in the winter of 1926. The present house was constructed of roughcast concrete by Speight Pearce Nicoll & Davys along the typical lines of architect James T Douce.
Sport has played a big part in the Vosper family and ‘Dingley Dell’ has seen a rifle range, dog trials and polo. At one time there was a separate room which housed a marble king-size billiard table.
Polo came to Cambridge in the early 1900’s with Charles Meredith being the secretary for over twenty years.
The polo club has had many homes – the trotting club, ‘Rodmor’, ‘Bardowie’ and ‘Dingley Dell’ pre-Second World War. The club recommenced in 1947 and the Vosper’s front paddock was their practice grounds until 1964 when they moved to Vogel Street in town.
While all due care has been taken to verify information contained on this site, the Cambridge Museum accepts no responsibility for any errors, omissions or misrepresentation.
Copyright © 2003 – Cambridge Museum – All Rights Reserved.