Temporary Building Closure from 6 June for Seismic Strengthening Work
Explore the history of the local people.SEE ALL EXHIBITS
Historic Cambridge residents with ‘N’ Surnames
NEAL, NEWALL, & NICKLE are just some of the family names on this list of those that help found Cambridge Town . This is a list of our historic residents, whose surnames start with the letter N.
Bill was born in London and was a tailor when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 31 Aug 1863, in Melbourne. He was a Private, Regiment number 10 and was granted one acre of land section 504 in Cambridge West and a farm section 72 at Ohaupo.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 David paid 2 pence an acre on 200 acres – totaling £1 13/4d.
NEAL George Jesse
George was born at Sweet Briar Farm in Bedford, England in 1840 and came to New Zealand on the ship ‘Ulcoates’ in 1864. Ten years later he came to Cambridge and acted as agent for the Waikato Steam Navigation Company.
In 1878 George married Elizabeth nee Crawford and lived by the maxim of ‘a healthy mind – a healthy body’.
About 1884 George commenced business as a seed-merchant which he sold to G E Clark in 1898. George also ran a bakery then drew a 160 acre farm in the Karapiro ballot of 1898. He developed an eight acre orchard.
The family left for Auckland in 1907 and the residents of Karapiro gave them a silver tea kettle, sugar basin and tongs. Their daughter, who had been a Sunday School teacher at the Presbyterian Church for many years, was given a writing desk. George died 12 January 1901.
Arthur was born 16 August 1877 and a blacksmith when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 9 July 1901. He had been married to Mary Elizabeth Starkey in 1899. At the end of 1902 he took advantage of his sickness benefit for 19 days at £3 3s 4d.
Jim was born 1839 in the East Indies. He was a farmer, 5′ 8½” tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 23 October 1863 in Hobarton. He was promoted to Corporal on 5 January 1865, Regiment number 696, and was granted one acre of land section 489 in Cambridge West and a farm, sections 14 and part of 18 at Ohaupo.
Stuart was born in Dumfries Scotland about 1843. At the time he left home to travel to Australia and then New Zealand, his occupation was draper, attached to the business of an older brother, James. He enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 2 December 1863 in Dunedin, after unsuccessful goldmining in Otago. His Regiment Number was 1050. Stuart was appointed Colour Sergeant in July 1864 and Regimental Orderly Room Clerk in 1865, and in 1866 he became a member of the Alpha Waikato Lodge No.449, I.C. in Cambridge.
He acted as Post Master with the regiment – his house in Cambridge being used as the post office and for Mass for the Catholics on Sundays. The outlook was a fern-covered wilderness.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 he paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres – totalling eight shillings and sixpence.
On the disbandment of the 3rd Waikato Regiment, Sergeant Newall joined the Armed Constabulary. He took part in the West Coast campaign and Waitera on the East Coast and in the Uruweras. He received his commission as Sub Inspector in June 1869. For about a year he was in charge of an Armed Constabulary party at the Ohinemuri goldfields making tracks and roads.
He married Georgina Roberts 12 March 1872 at Major Clare’s residence in Cambridge. It was a double ceremony, officiated by Rev Norrie, with Georgina’s brother, Capt John M Roberts who married his first cousin Jessie Clare. Georgina and Stuart had six children – Mary Dalziel (1873), Clara Roberta (1874), Stuart George (1876), Jessie Georgina (1878), Nena Nithsdale (1881) and Annie Mackintosh (1883). Jessie Georgina died aged one year in 1879 and is buried at the Cambridge cemetery.
Stuart rose in the service, doing police work and exploring and supervising the construction of roads, until he became a Colonel.
He transferred to the Defence Force in 1883 and in 1900 took command of the 5th New Zealand Contingent, serving in South Africa. On his return he received the Distinguished Service Order, as recognition of his long and meritorious services to the colony.
In 1901, he was awarded the CB in the imperial honours list. Retiring from the army in 1902, he became the secretary and manager of the Commercial Travellers Club in Wellington. In 1913 he was recalled to part-time duty and commanded the Mounted Special Constables in Wellington during the maritime strike. In 1915 to 1918 he was appointed Commandant of the Pukeroa Convalescent Camp, King George Hospital, Rotorua.
He died 3 August 1919 at the home of his daughter Clara in Waihi and is buried in the Karori Cemetery in Wellington.
Henry was baptised 11 August 1844 in Devon, England and arrived in New Zealand with brother Richard on the ship ‘Matoaka’ in 1865. Henry spent some time in the Thames gold mines then came to Cambridge and worked as a shepherd on E B Walker’s Monavale estate.
He married Kezia Keeley, a dressmaker, on 25 May 1877 and they had one daughter and seven sons. Kezia died 1896 and daughter Lizzie looked after the family.
Two sons, Robert and Richard married respectively Sarah Jane Ritchie 1905, and Gladys Maud Harris 1920.
Loftus was born 1828 in Ballymonaghan, Sligo, Ireland. He was a clerk / labourer, 5′ 9” tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 25 August 1863 in Melbourne. He was a Private, Regiment number 105, and was granted one acre of land section 240 in Cambridge West and a farm section 90 at Ohaupo.
He attended an inquest for MURPHY who had been found moaning with his head in a 16 inch deep ditch. He lifted him out. (Inquest J1 from National Archives in Wellington)
He was at another inquest on 19 May 1866 for George WILSON. Loftus went to his hut and saw Wilson dead – but no rifle. He also thought Wilson was mad. (Inquest J1 from National Archives in Wellington)
NICHOLAS Thomas Henry
NICHOLL (NICCOL) Thomas
Tom was born in Lochmanon Scotland about 1836 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 19 November 1863 in Dunedin. His Regiment Number was Private 926 and occupation a plumber.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Tom paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres – totalling eight shillings and sixpence. A rates list in the Waikato Times of 1872 has Tom owing 12/6d for 50 acres.
NICHOLSON George James
George was born about 1866 in England, the son of Peter and Elizabeth. They arrived in New Zealand in 1875 and farmed in the Raglan area. George was a baker when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 17 June 1884. His wife was Rosa. In 1888 he was working in Raglan and received £2 12/6d from his sickness fund for an “Internal Disease”. In June 1893 he cut his foot and received £3 and in June 1894 he cut his knee and received £1.
His parents, Peter and Elizabeth, retired to Cambridge in 1900 and George’s family had left Cambridge by 1903.
NICKLE George Henry
NIXON Herbert Lawthorpe
Herbert Lawthorpe Nixon was born on 1 November 1875. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 31 July 1906.
Edmund was born about 1837 in Cork, Ireland and became a carpenter. He enlisted in the 3rd Regiment of the Waikato Militia in Dunedin on 28 December 1863 as a Corporal No 1364.
David was born about 1864, the son of Charles and Jane. He was a butcher when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 8 May 1883.
Henry was aged 26 years and a butcher when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 5 August 1879. He had married Mary Ann Morris.
In 1882 he was expelled for striking Dr Waddington. Henry accused the doctor of not seeing his wife when called and the Doctor refuted the charge saying he always attended when necessary but he had very often been summoned to go and see her, as being dangerously ill, when nothing was the matter with her except being slightly indisposed such as a pain in the head and other very frivolous excuses. Henry rose from his chair, crossed the room and struck the Doctor a very severe blow on the face.
While all due care has been taken to verify information contained on this site, the Cambridge Museum accepts no responsibility for any errors, omissions or misrepresentation.
Copyright © 2003 – Cambridge Museum – All Rights Reserved.