$ FREE ADMISSION

OPENING HOURS: MON - FRI 10 - 4, SAT - SUN 10 - 2.

OPENING HOURS: MON - FRI 10 - 4, SAT - SUN 10 - 2.

$ FREE ADMISSION   24 Victoria St, Cambridge , NZ

Cambridge Independent Articles

Armed Constabulary Act

1867 the Armed Constabulary Act was passed in New Zealand and the Waikato Militia disbanded. An Armed Constabulary Officer wore a peakless blue cloth cap with silver lace band 1¾” (45 mm) wide, a blue…

Read More

Cambridge and Waikato Reed Band

“Minutes of a meeting held 16 May 1877 in the Orderly Room [of the Armed Constabulary redoubt] at Cambridge for the purpose of forming a band. Fourteen gentlemen were present. Proposed by Mr Brennan and…

Read More

Bomb Shelter

A concrete ‘bunker’ halfway down the ‘Buckland Track‘ in the Cambridge Domain and a large depression in the ground behind the old railway station, are all that remain – other than the stories of the…

Read More

Cambridge Bowling Club

The first game of bowls in Cambridge was probably played on Martin McDermott’s lawn in Queen Street in October 1898. In December 1899, the Domain Board gave the Club permission to play in the Domain…

Read More

Brewery (Empire Street)

The brewery in Brewery (now Empire) Street provided a service to the district for many years producing vats of pure amber beer and cordial. In the 1940s it was suggested as an air raid shelter…

Read More

Brider Paintings

Marianne Estelle BRIDER formerly THOMSON nee DAVIS Marianne Estelle was born in Bournemouth, England to James and Frances Anne Davis c1873 and came to New Zealand c1919. Marianne Estelle was the granddaughter of Rev Richard…

Read More

Calverts Building

Samuel Howard was advertising his business ‘Cambridge House’ in Victoria Street, Cambridge in 1893. He advertised goods such as Men’s Colonial Tweed Suits for thirty shillings. Beaver Mole Trousers, 8s 9d. Fern Boots made specially…

Read More

Bridges

Karapiro Creek Bridge The first Karapiro Creek Bridge, built by Mr Greville, was swept away in a flood in 1869. It was replaced in the same year by one built on a much higher level…

Read More

Cambridge Businesses 1850s

Traders and missionaries were the first Europeans to venture into the Waikato in the 1850s. After Cambridge was established in July 1864 general stores were set up on both sides of the Waikato River to…

Read More

Cambridge Club

In August 1906, a meeting of 20 gentlemen unanimously agreed that the forming of a social club should go ahead. This became the Cambridge Club with John Lundon as president, J A Hammond vice president,…

Read More