$ FREE ADMISSION

OPENING HOURS: MON - FRI 10 - 4, SAT - SUN 10 - 2.

OPENING HOURS: MON - FRI 10 - 4, SAT - SUN 10 - 2.

$ FREE ADMISSION   24 Victoria St, Cambridge , NZ

Cambridge People

Explore the history of the local people.

SEE ALL EXHIBITS

Historic Cambridge residents with ‘M’ Surnames

McCARTHY, McDERMOTT, McLEAN & McLENNAN are just some of the familiar family names whose living legacy still is alive in Cambridge.  Below is the full list of those that help found our beautiful town.

MC

McCABE Charles Martin

Charles was born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire about 1831.

In Nelson he married Sarah Ann Chamberlain in 1859 then enlisted in the 3rd Regiment of the Waikato Militia on 17 November 1863. He received his one acre section in Cambridge East and 50 acre farm at Pukerimu.

On 21 May 1873 he enrolled in the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers and served for six years.

In 1882 Sarah, a widow still with children at school, married Walter Bartlett.

McCANN George

George was born in Rothmania Dublin Ireland about 1831 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 24 October 1863 in Hobarton Australia. His Regiment Number was Corporal 691, occupation a labourer and height 5′ 8″. He was granted one acre of land section 53 in Cambridge East and a farm section part 49 at Ohaupo.

He was an original member of the Duke of Cambridge Lodge and his wife’s name was Ellen. She died 11 November 1896 and is buried in the Cambridge cemetery at Hautapu.

On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 George paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres – totalling eight shillings and sixpence.

McCANN John

John was the son of William McCann, born in Tasmania about 1863, who came to Cambridge about a year later.

He was only 15 years old when he joined the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers and left in 1882 after he broke his leg.

John was a butcher when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 1 July 1884.

In the Waikato Times of 17 January 1885 it said, “A walking match of 20 miles, for £20 a side, came off in the Government paddock, Cambridge on Tuesday last. The peds were Messrs J McCann and Murdoch Munro. J McCann won easily.”

John became a butcher and horse dealer and later farmed at Fencourt and Maungatautari until retiring to Wilson Street about 1930.

He married Annie Kemp in 1891 and they had four children – Percy, Alan, Hilda and Aileen. John died in 1937 and Ann in 1948.

McCARTHY John

John was born 1837 in St Peters, Cork, Ireland. He was a miner, 5′ 9″ tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 2 January 1864 in Dunedin. He was a Private, Regiment number 1392 and was granted one acre of land section 20 in Cambridge West and a farm section 5 at Ohaupo.

McCARTHY Philip John

Philip McCarthy was born on 19 May 1874 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 6 September 1911.

McCARTHY Timothy

Tim was born 1843 in Ireland. He was a labourer, 5′ 10″ tall, when he enlisted as a substitute for GRANT in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 30 April 1866 in Cambridge. He was a Private, Regiment number 1705 and was granted one acre of land section 346 in Cambridge East and a farm section 156 at Ohaupo.

Back

McCLAIR William

Bill was born 1831 in Thurles, Tipperary, Ireland. He was a labourer, 5′ 5½” tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 24 October 1863 in Hobarton. He was a Private, Regiment number 692 and was granted one acre of land section 129 in Cambridge West and a farm section 17 at Ohaupo.

MacCOLL Charles Edward S

Ensign C E S MacColl enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 9 January 1864. On the 28 March 1865 Stewart MacColl, Sergeant in the 3rd Waikato Militia, was a witness at the first marriage in Cambridge of Lambert William Loveday and Adelaide Vogel.

The Cambridge Correspondent reported in the New Zealand Herald of 15 August 1866 – “I regret to report the death of Ensign MacColl of the 3rd Waikato Militia Regiment who expired on the 6th instant, after a lingering illness. He had long been in a delicate state of health, the cause of his death being pulmonary consumption. He was buried today in the cemetery on the east bank of the river with military honours, his remains being followed to the grave by a large number of men of the regiment, both effective and non effective, among whom I believe he was deservedly popular.

“While mentioning the cemetery, I cannot help stating that it was universally remarked that it was high time the authorities should take some steps to have a portion at least cleared and fenced, as in the present neglected state it is little short of disgraceful.”

The original wooden ‘headstone’ was carved by Sergeant Stuart Newall and the current ‘headstone’ is kept up by members of the Alpha Lodge.

McDERMOTT Martin Philip

Link to photo.

Martin was born about 1865 and an ironmonger when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 29 May 1888. He married Jane Eliza McCrea in May 1891 and they had three sons.

Martin worked for Thos Wells for 34 years and later for Speight, Pearce, Nicoll & Davys as their accountant. He played cricket, croquet, tennis and bowls. He was organist for St Andrews Anglican Church and played the piano at concerts and drama productions. He liked gardening and was secretary for the Rose Show, Bowls, School Committee, Orchestral Society and the Chrysanthemum Show.

Martin died 15 December 1926 and Jane married for a second time to John Francis.

McDONALD Colin

Colin lived in Kihikihi and was a labourer aged 23 years when he enrolled in the 3rd Company of the Waikato Mounted Rifles on 27 November 1899. He was Private No.461 and sailed to South Africa War with the 2nd Contingent. Colin died 1963.

His brother Norman had also joined the 3rd Company of the Waikato Mounted Rifles in Cambridge on 21 December 1898. He was a labourer aged 25 years. He had also enlisted for the South Africa War as Corporal No.11 and sailed with the 1st Contingent.

MacFARLANE Jonothan Sangster

On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 he paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres – totalling eight shillings and sixpence.

McFARLANE John

John Russell McFarland was born 16 March 1875, the son of William and Isabella nee Russell. John joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 20 August 1901. His wife was Ada Mabel nee Cross and they had two sons and three daughters. John died at Otahuhu on 6 March 1938.

 McGREGOR John

John was born in Fontingall, Perthshire, Scotland in 1832 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 22 October 1863 in Auckland. His Regiment Number was Private 560 and occupation a farmer.  John then enlisted in the Armed Constabulary – Number 658 – on 21 December 1868 and was discharged 8 December 1870.

On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 he paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres – totalling eight shillings and sixpence. In an 1872 edition of the Waikato Times John’s rates were due – 100 acres £1 5/-.

Back

McGUINNESS Thomas

Tom was born 1841 in Gosport, England. He was a sawyer, 5′ 11″ tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 6 October 1863 in Auckland. He was a Private, Regiment number 1180 and was granted one acre of land section 320 in Cambridge West and a farm section 4 at Ohaupo.
On the Electoral Roll of 1890 he was a station hand at Roto-o-rangi.

McINERNEY Patrick

Pat was born about 1857 and was a labourer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 29 January 1884.

McINERNEY Thomas

Thos was born about 1864 and a labourer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 19 June 1883. In June 1884 he had a sore throat for 14 days and received £2 from the sickness fund.

McKEARNEY James ‘Sampson’

James was the son of John and Ann – below, born about 1862 in Howick, and came to Cambridge with his parents in 1864. James recalled that he came to Cambridge at the age of two and (in an interview in 1936) could remember the family’s arrival in Cambridge by boat, and landing at a small jetty. His father was already established in the Cambridge military camp at the time, and had been granted an acre of land. He had also been granted 50 acres of swamp at Rangiriri, which he sold almost immediately for £12. The family had not been in Cambridge many years when the militia disbanded and was only called together subsequently for occasional practices. There was plenty of work offering in the settlement in those days, but wages seldom exceeded four or five shillings a day and men were never certain that their wages would be paid.

It was necessary for the family to grow their own vegetables and also wheat, which they flailed, crushed into meal, and subsequently made into bread. Two or three cows were kept and a few pigs, the latter being fed largely on peaches from trees planted by the Maori and growing wild.

James recalled the camp on the flat below the Karapiro Bridge, the guards stationed along the river-banks and sentries posted at camp every night to guard against a sudden attack by the Maori.

He did not witness any clashes with the Maori but threats that they were about to attack were frequent. On those occasions settlers were called into the barracks until such time as the scare ceased.

In the days of the first camp the greater part of what is now the business area, was swamp overgrown with cutty grass and raupo. There were no bridges on the river and transport was entirely dependent on punts to gain a crossing. Mr Maxwell kept the first punt.

A hospital, school and commissariat were the main public buildings of the settlement in those days. The school-master was selected from the militia and was more concerned with enforcing discipline than imparting education.

James was five or six when the Armed Constabulary was set up, and two of his elder brothers joined up. This was a full time job but carried very little pay.

As James grew up he was recognised as one of the strongest youths in the town and was nicknamed ‘Sampson’. He worked on the Fen Court Estate and later joined the Public Works as road foreman. He was a labourer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 8 May 1883, and married Susan Hooey 15 February 1889. They had six children and lived on James’ father’s 3rd Waikato Militia grant in Hall Street.

Susan wrote a story of her younger life called “Just Me” in 1938.

James died 10 June 1945 and Susan 29 August 1950.

McKEARNEY John

John was born in St Katerines Ireland about 1825 and enlisted in the 58th Regiment as a servant. He left Deptford in the ‘Maitland’ and landed in Sydney, Australia on 22 January 1844. He arrived in Auckland a year later. He married Ann in 1848 and they had thirteen children.

He enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 19 September 1863 in Auckland. His Regiment Number was Private 468 and occupation a painter.

In 1873 John wrote to the Education Department saying he was the poorest man in the district and had 12 in his family and seven were dependant on his meagre wages. He could not possibly pay the Education Rates.

He died in October 1875.

McKEARNEY Peter, William and John

Peter and William McKearney were both aged 21 years and both labourers when they joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge in 1872.

Peter was a member of the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers from 1872 to 1874, a member of the Cambridge & Waikato Reed Band in 1878 and married Mary Nesbitt in 1882.

William was a Sergeant in the Armed Constabulary when he married Eliza Lee in April 1883. He signed on for a fresh term with the Armed Constabulary in August 1883.

Another brother, John, also became a member of the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers and served from 1878 to 1879. He married Bridget Mackey at the Registrar’s Office in Hamilton in February 1883.

McKECHNIE Clynick Graham

Clynick was born 13 February 1882, the son of William of Dennistoun, Glasgow. When he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 13 August 1907, he was a coach painter in Lake Street. In December he married Hazel Pearl the eldest daughter of Fred and Amelia Popple.

Back

McKEEGAN (KEEGAN) John

John was born 1839 in Ireland. He was a butcher, 5′ 9″ tall, when he enlisted as a substitute for COLLINS in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 12 July 1866 in Cambridge. He was a Private, Regiment number 1717 and was granted one acre of land section 487 in Cambridge East and a farm section 10 at Ohaupo.

McKENZIE John

John was born 1838 in Nairn, Scotland. He was a farmer, 5′ 7″ tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia at the end of 1863 in Dunedin. He was a Private, Regiment number 1044 and was granted one acre of land section 40 in Cambridge West and a farm section 71 at Ohaupo.

McKINNON Donald and Catherine

Donald was born in Isle of Skye, Scotland about 1825. He arrived in Australia in 1852 and he tried his luck at the Ballarat goldfields. He moved to Tasmania where he undertook stock droving. He married Catherine McGillavray in Launceston and they had three sons John, Donald and Alex Hugh.

Donald Snr enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, October 1863 in Launceston. His Regiment Number was Private 427 and occupation a clerk.

From the book ‘For Glory and a Farm’ by Frank Glen it says, “He helped build the military town of Cambridge, his family travelling from Hobart to join him in December 1864. Although Donald was not awarded a medal, probably because he was not under fire, he did get his fifty acres and town section. He became a hardworking farmer and contractor, providing food under contract for the Armed Constabulary. He also undertook road building under contract. His son John enlisted for regular service in the Armed Constabulary and did garrison duty until a shooting accident caused his discharge.”

Donald Snr was given an acre of land in Cambridge West ( Leamington ) and 50 acres in the Cambridge survey. The family lived in Shakespeare Street and farmed land nearby, later supplying fresh food to the Armed Constabulary. Catherine always had scones, butter and cream ready for visitors. Later they farmed at Fencourt but Donald and Catherine lived out their lives on the Shakespeare Street property.

Donald enjoyed a tipple and came up before the court periodically. He was also on the first Leamington School committee in 1880 – his father having been a schoolmaster may have been an influence.

Donald Snr died 25 August 1894 aged 74. The Waikato Times newspaper states, “We learn that an old Cambridge West identity passed over to the great majority on Saturday last viz: Mr Donald McKinnon who was one of the oldest settlers in the district.”

Catherine always had a helping hand for those in need. The book ‘First Families’ by Ruth Wilkinson states that, “Mrs McKinnon’s oven was always in use, mainly cooking scones, which were freely given with home butter and raspberry jam.”

Their son, John, died unmarried in 1932.

Donald Jnr died in boyhood.

Alex became a boot maker, married Emma Keeley and they had a family of six. Their sons Ike and Les became third generation nurserymen. Ike set out the gardens at St Peters Private School, was the tree expert for the Cambridge Borough Council and a keen member of the Beautifying Society. McKinnon Park near the Cambridge High School is named after him.

McKINNON Hugh Alexander

Hugh was born in Tasmania, 30 January 1863, the son of Donald and Catherine nee McGillivray. He arrived in Cambridge 29 December 1864 with his two brothers and mother to join his father who was with the 3rd Waikato Militia. On leaving school Hugh was a keen athlete and apprentised to Mr Cox who had a boot making business in Duke Street.
Hugh joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 3 July 1894 when he was aged 31 years. He married Emma, daughter of James and Ann Keeley, 11 August 1902. They had six children and took up farming and contract work. In later years Hugh milked a small herd of cows and untook boot repairs. Emma died 21 July 1923 and Hugh 1 September 1937.

Back

MacKINTOSH Charles Dane

Charles was the first band master of the Cambridge and Waikato Reed Band when it was formed 16 May 1877.

He enrolled with the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers as a trooper in November 1878 and the next year he was promoted to Sergeant. He stayed with the Volunteers until it disbanded in October 1882.

In the 1880s electoral roll he is listed as a Music Teacher.

McLEAN John

John was born 9 January 1861 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 22 September 1896 aged 34 years his occupation a wool sorter. He was married but his wife was not registered.

McLEAN William

Bill was born 26 October 1879 and a traveller when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 10 September 1907. He and his wife Annie lived in the old Duke of Cambridge Hotel and ran the place as a boarding house. In April it had nearly burnt down.

Then in April 1908 it did burn down and from June to September William advertised running the Island Fruit Store and Refreshment Rooms. On 15 October he received a letter from the Cambridge Borough Council with a list of improvements he had to make to comply with the Health Inspector’s report. A few days later the local paper reports that the local fruit seller had ‘skipped’ with his wife and family to a Southern port.

McLENAN (McLENNON) John

John was born in Dingwall Rothshire about 1837 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 30 November 1863 in Dunedin. His Regiment Number was 1006 and occupation a miner.

On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 he paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres – totalling eight shillings and sixpence. In an 1872 edition of the Waikato Times John’s rates were due – 50 acres 12/6d.

McLENNAN James

James joined the Alpha Waikato Lodge No 449 I.C. in 1866, was a farmer and died 1868.

Donald was born on 26 May 1863 in Slete, Isle of Skye, Scotland and arrived in New Zealand 1873. He was a farm labourer and married Rosina Took in Cambridge on 13 November 1879. They raised ten children. Donald joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 1 April 1902.

Back

McLEOD Henry George

Harry was the second son of Donald and Rosina born 10 October 1883. He was a labourer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 14 April 1903 and took advantage of his sickness fund in 1904 when he got pneumonia. He married Alexandra Elizabeth Agnes McGillivray on 6 October 1906 at the Presbyterian Church.

McLEOD Roderick

Rod was born 12 July 1877 and when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 21 April 1896, his occupation was a labourer.

McLEOD William John

William was the first son of Donald and Rosina, born in Cambridge 22 April 1881. He worked as a farm manager for James Taylor and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 3 March 1903.  William married Ellen Therese McCarthy, who had come from Australia, 10 October 1906 and they had five children.

Ellen died 1943, William died 1965 and they are buried at the Cambridge Cemetery at Hautapu.

McLEVE (McCLIVE) Francis

Frank was born 1809 in Ireland. He was a labourer, 5′ 8″ tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 8 January 1864 in Invercargill. He was a Private, Regiment number 1448 and was granted one acre of land section 24 in Cambridge West and a farm section 48 at Ohaupo.

McLIESH Charles

Charles was born 8 June 1883, the son of William and Margaret, and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 3 September 1901.

Billie was born 6 November 1860 in Ireland, the son of William and Margaret. Billie worked as groom in Hamilton before joining his father on their farm at Kauroa near Raglan. He became part of the Raglan Cavalry Volunteers and served in the South African War – Private 2386 with the 5th Contingent – 1900. He also enlisted World War One with the Main Body 1915 but suffered from rheumatism and returned to New Zealand in 1916.

Billie married in 1885 to Emilia Johnstone and this ended in divorce. He took on roading contracts around the Waikato and came to Cambridge about 1898. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 20 August 1901.

In March 1909 he married Alice Roberts – a widow with 2 children. She died in 1935. William married for a third time to Catherine McNaughton in 1931 and they had two children.
William died 14 November 1938 aged 78 years. Catherine died 28 October 1961.

McMILLAN Alexander

Alex was born 1825 in Dummond Co. Down, Ireland. He was a labourer, 5′ 10″ tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 1 October 1863 in Hobarton. He was a Private, Regiment number 406 and was granted one acre of land section 251 in Cambridge West and a farm section 46 at Ohaupo.

McMILLAN / McMULLEN Charles

Charles was born 1827 in Ireland. He was a labourer when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 4 September 1863, age 36 in Melbourne. He was a Private, Regiment number 100 and was granted one acre of land section 443 in Cambridge West and a farm section167 at Ohaupo.

Periodically, from 1875 Charles would turn up drunk in Cambridge.

On 29 December 1899 the Waikato Times reported – “An old man named Charles McMillan was brought down from Cambridge by yesterday morning’s coach and returned to the refuge. He was arrested in Cambridge for vagrancy. The old man leaves the institution periodically and finds his way to Cambridge where he becomes a great nuisance to all who know him, and if possible to obtain the liquor he gets drunk”.

He wasn’t the only one.

Back

McMILLAN Leonard

Leonard McMillan was born on 30 July 1892 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 28 November 1911.

McNAMARA John

John was born on 27 September 1872 and on 22 September 1908 he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge.

McNEISH James

James McNeish was single, aged 21 and a billiard marker when he enrolled in the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 22 March 1877. James was a noted athlete and won the first athletic cup presented in Cambridge on Easter Monday 1877.

He and Jane Castell were married in Cambridge in July 1878 and went on to have 10 children. They lived in Duke Street. One son (James Alfred) fought in the South Africa War and two sons George and James, died in World War One.

James snr was also an enthusiastic member of the Cambridge Dramatic Society and the children followed suit.

James kept a Billiard Saloon in Cambridge and as his mother was Maori, he was bi-lingual and acted as interpreter in the local court.

James died in 1908 and Jane 1944 and they are both buried at the Cambridge Cemetery Hautapu.

McQUARRIE Archibald (Alexander)

Arch was born 1826 in England. He was a carpenter, 5′ 8” tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 20 October 1863 in Dunedin. He was a Private, Regiment number 743 and was granted one acre of land section 319 in Cambridge West and a farm section 164 at Ohaupo.

McQUARRIE Hugh

Hugh was born 1827 in England. He was a miner, 5′ 11” tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 20 October 1863 in Dunedin. He was a Private, Regiment number 744 and was granted one acre of land section 323 in Cambridge West and a farm section 165 at Ohaupo.

McVEAGH Robert

Robert was born in Sprinkkell, Antrim about 1831 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 29 September 1863. His Regiment Number was Private 214 and occupation a farmer. He was promoted to Corporal 1 May 1864.

On 19 October 1865 he married Margaret Read and their children included Robert, James, Margaret, Theresa, William, Augustine, Rose, Sarah, Elizabeth and Philip. (W R McVeagh sponsored a family memory in Ruth Wilkinson’s book ‘First Families of Cambridge’ saying, “In 1867, a big Maori pa was at Maungakawa. One day a Maori woman came down the hill and into the McVeagh home, where she stole the baby Robert Jnr. She was well on her way back to the pa before the distracted father caught up with her. ‘I like him’, was her simple explanation.”

W R McVeagh also says that Robert and Mary lived on their granted land at the foot of Maungakawa, then moved into town and opened a store on their acre of land in Chapel (Anzac) Street.

Robert ran the punt across the Waikato River before a bridge was built and later Margaret was a dressmaker.

On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Robert paid 2 pence an acre on 60 acres – totalling ten shillings.

McVEAGH William Reed

William Reed McVeagh was born on 18 August 1875. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 16 November 1909.

M

MACK Fred

Fred was born on 24 June 1875 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 11 January 1910.

MAGUIRE Allan Noble

Allan was born about 1834 in Roscray, Furmanagh. He enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia as Private 1317 on 4 January 1864 in Dunedin, his occupation a miner.

He was aged 33 years and a farmer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 28 May 1867. His wife was Bessie.

MAGUIRE James

James was born in Tallyroy, Fermanagh, Ireland and was a policeman when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 18 December 1863 in Dunedin. His Regiment Number was Sergeant 1072 and occupation a policeman. He was later reduced to a Private.

On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869.

MALINS Edgar Charles

Born on 15 December 1873, Edgar Charles Malins joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 8 March 1910.

MALINS Walter Henry

Walter was born on 27 may 1888 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 8 March 1910.

MANN George

George was born about 1840 in England. He enlisted in the 1st Waikato Militia Regiment on 20 December 1863 and transferred to the 3rd Waikato Militia as Private 1680 on 1 October 1865 in Cambridge, his occupation a labourer.

He was aged 27 years and a settler when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 14 May 1870. He had married Jemima Elizabeth Dalton (Maxwell) in 1864 and they had 10 children.

In 1888 the Waikato Times tells of Mr Mann’s piece of ground under cultivation and sings the praises of his Sharpe’s Triumph and Webb’s Chancellor peas.

By 1890 George had established an orchard on 4 acres and towards the end of 1895 he became the secretary of the Cambridge Branch of the Waikato Fruit Growers Association.

On 25 July 1903 he was found dead. The verdict of the jury was “carbolic poison self administered whilst of unsound mind.”

MANN Herbert

Herbert was born 5 October 1876, the son of George and Jemima nee Dalton who had been a member of the 3rd Waikato Militia. Herbert joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge in October 1894, aged 17 years, his occupation a farmer. Herbert died in Hamilton, February 1957.

Back

MANSON Anton

Anton was born 12 February 1877 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 9 June 1903 – occupation a fruiter. He had bought George Hally’s aerated water business ‘Waipuna’ in partnership with George Hills which they sold in December 1904 to J T Henshaw.

Early January 1905 Anton sold his fruit and fish business to A D Brown and bought the bakery business of T L Saulbrey in Duke Street. Later in the year he took over Misses Thomsons’ Tearooms and asked the public for a suitable name. He received upward of 100 suggestions and Noumai (‘Welcome’ in Maori) Restaurant was chosen.

In 1905 and 1906 he won first and champion prizes for his milk bread at the Waikato Central A & P shows.

In 1909 he sold the bakery to Muller brothers and moved to Mamaku.

MARSHALL Henry

Henry was the son of Henry and Jane Marshall, born about 1861 in Mangere. His father was a member of the 3rd Waikato Militia and they arrived in Cambridge in 1864. Young Henry was a waggoner when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 8 May 1883. In the same year he was Noble Grand. The next year he sprained his ankle and received £1 for seven days off work. In March 1884 Dr Waddington certified that Henry – “was entitled to three weeks sick pay being confined to his house through injury from a log falling on him”.

Shortly after, Henry with his brother Bill left for the Australian gold fields. Bill died in Australia and Henry travelled to Canada and the Far East, returning to New Zealand 36 years later. Henry died in Waihi in 1942.

MARSHALL Thomas

Thomas was born 20 May 1863 and he married Elizabeth Emma Forshaw on 17 August 1891 having been in Cambridge two years. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 13 October 1891 aged 28 years. His occupation was a saddler. He called on the Lodge’s sickness fund for 14 days in September 1893 as he had measles. That same year he was Noble Grand.

They left the district in 1895.

MARSHALL William

Bill was born about 1845 in Auckland and was a labourer when he enrolled in the 3rd Regiment of the Waikato Militia, as a substitute soldier, on 7 November 1864 at Cambridge . When he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge in 1871, his occupation was given as baker. From May 1873 to May 1875 he served with the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers and was a member of the Cambridge and Waikato Reed Band in 1879.

Back

MARTYN John and William

From a book called ‘Tamahere’ by Alfred Main it says – “John and William bought ‘Pencarrow’ 2000 acres in January 1866.” The book goes on to quote from John Martyn’s journal: “1867, Tamahere, ‘Pencarrow’. It was in January of this year that I started operations on my farm by laying down in March and April two paddocks into grass and a strip on the run.”

“In May I came up to improve my farm and also to take charge of the whole property, as William went to try his luck at Thames. Smith and W Hamill commenced ditching through William’s flax and ti tree land and then on to Bald Hill Road boundary, after which they went down to my farm and commenced ditching in two large paddocks. They both stuck at it well. I never saw men work better. These ditches were of a double ditch and bank. In May I put up my first cottage at ‘Pencarrow’ in which the men lived.”

On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 John and William paid 2 pence an acre on 2028 acres – totalling sixteen pounds and eight shillings.

MATCHETT David

David was born 1836 in Drumored, Armagh, Ireland. He was a married labourer, 5′ 10″ tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 5 September 1863 in Bendigo. He was a Private, Regiment number 92 and was granted one acre of land section 256 in Cambridge West and a farm section 110 at Ohaupo.

MAUNDER Thomas

Tom was a farmer at Kihikihi aged 22 years when he enrolled in the 3rd Company of the Waikato Mounted Rifles on 10 August 1898. He was made Corporal.

He enlisted for the South Africa War as Private No.42 with No.1 Company of the 1st Contingent.

He returned and died in Auckland, 3 July 1958.

MAWSON John

John was born 1835 in Cumberland, England. He was a tailor, 5′ 5″ tall, when he enlisted, as a substitute for GILCHRIST in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 7 September 1865 in Cambridge. He was a Private, Regiment number 1668 and was granted one acre of land section 46 in Cambridge East and a farm section 88 at Ohaupo.

In 1880 Electoral Roll John is listed with a freehold property and his occupation is a tailor.

MAXWELL William E

In November 1878 Bill enlisted with the band of the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers and was a member until October 1882. Bill also joined the Cambridge & Waikato Reed Band in February 1879. Then at age 18 years, occupation a cabinet maker, he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on the 1 July 1879.

Back

MEDHURST John

John joined the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers in November 1878 and was a member for two years. He was 18 years old when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 30 September 1879. On the Electoral Roll for 1887 he was shown as a settler at Bruntwood.

MEDHURST Thomas George

Tom was born 18 April 1865 in Hampshire, England, the son of Samuel and Eliza. He was a ploughman when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 21 September 1886 and his wife was Barbara nee Wright. Tom called on his sickness fund in September 1887 when he had Inflammation of the Glands for 35 days. Barbara died 14 April 1888 and Tom received £12 from the Lodge Funeral Fund.

In June 1890 he married Charlotte Gilkinson and he died 6 April 1944.

MEDHURST William

Bill was the eldest son of Samuel and Eliza Medhurst and born 14 December 1859 in Hampshire, England. He joined the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers in May 1879 and served for a year. When he married Emily Norgrove in December 1881 he had been in Cambridge 5 years. Two of their children died in 1889.

He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge in 1882 – his occupation a coachman. In 1884 he was mentioned twice in the Sickness Book with Cancer and in 1889 he had Congestion of the Lungs.

His coach driving took him from Tirau to Rotorua and Cambridge to Hamilton. Later, when the family moved to Paeroa he provided a similar service between Paeroa and the goldfields at Waikino.

MEIER Frederick

Fred was born 1832 in Schleswig, Germany. He was a mariner, 5′ 11½” tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 21 August 1863 in Dunedin. He was a Private, Regiment number 1452 and was granted one acre of land section 168 in Cambridge West and farm section 41 at Ohaupo.

Back

MILLAR John Napier

John was born in 1846 and married Alice Lily Finch in 1874.

He first appeared in Cambridge on the electoral roll of 1879 as a carpenter. In 1880 he became a member of the first Cambridge and Waikato Reed Band and in November became a band member of the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers. 

MINCHIN Alfred William

Alf was born 29 June 1888. The family arrived in Cambridge about September 1902 from Auckland – his mother Mrs Edith Minchin was a widow and they lived in Grosvenor Street. (She was secretary of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union and later on the School Committee).

Alf was a carpenter when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 13 August 1907, and was keen on cycling and rugby.

He enlisted for World War One as Sapper 11499 and left with the 11th Reinforcements. In 1917 he wrote home to his mother praising the Waikato Y.M.C.A Hut near the front line in France. It was also reported that Mrs Minchin had 26 nephews taking part in the Great War.

She sold up her household furniture and effects in March 1918 and left Cambridge.

MITCHELL Frederick Charles

Frederick Charles Mitchell was born on 19 April 1890 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 9 April 1907.

MITCHELL James M

Link to photo.

Captain in 3rd Waikato Militia. Commission Cancelled.

Back

MOAR Daniel Henry

Dan was born 5 November 1882 and was a farm labourer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 11 November 1902.

MOHI Hemi

On the 1872 map is noted, “Whare Mohi”, and in the 1874 Assessment list he has 1000 acres at Tamahere.

MOFFATT John

John was born about 1819 in Mullinger, West Neath and became a clerk. He enlisted in the 3rd Regiment of the Waikato Militia in Hobarton on 24 October 1863 as a Private No 669 and was later promoted to Sergeant.

He joined the Alpha Waikato Lodge No 449 I.C. in 1865.

On 19 May 1866 John was present at an inquest on the death (suicide) of George Wilson when he stated that Wilson had seemed his usual self but complained of dysentery. He came back from the post office and he was dead. He had known Wilson for 3 or 4 years and considered him a weak-minded man.

MOISLEY William

Bill was aged 32 years and a shoe maker when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge by Clearance from the North London District, on 4 October 1873. When he married Mary Ann Bell in January 1874 he was a widower and had been in Cambridge 9 months.

They lived on Hamilton Road with four children until 1895 when they moved to Kihikihi. After 21 years they returned to Cambridge and William worked at his boot makers bench until he was 77 years old. He died 1926 and Mary Ann in 1941 and they are both buried in the Cambridge Cemetery at Hautapu.

MOLLIET George

George was born in England about 1843 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 14 March 1866 in Cambridge as a substitute soldier. His Regiment Number was Private 1687 and occupation a farmer.

On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 George paid 2 pence an acre on 101 acres – totalling sixteen shillings and ten pence, even though he had been substituted by John Runciman, 12 August 1866.

MOLLOY Joseph

Joseph was born about 1833 in Ireland. He enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia as Private 308 on 26 December 1863 in Otahuhu, his occupation a tailor.

He was aged 31 years and still a tailor when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 28 May 1867, married to Mary Jane.

MONTGOMERY George

George was born in Tyrone about 1839 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 5 May 1865 in Cambridge as a substitute soldier. His Regiment Number was Private 1660 and occupation a labourer.

On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 George paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres – totalling eight shillings and sixpence.

Back

MONTGOMERY Robert

Bob was aged 28 years and had been in Cambridge five years when he married Elizabeth daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Keeley, in May 1879.

He was born in Happy Valley, Australia and while helping to build the fence at the Cambridge West school he cut his foot with his adze. He died of tetanus 17 August 1880 aged 30 years, leaving a young wife and son. He was buried at the newly reopened Cambridge West (Leamington) cemetery.

Elizabeth continued as a dressmaker and died at the home of her son, Joe, on 23 November 1929. Joe farmed at Karapiro and did not marry.

MOON William

Link to photo.

William was born in Tottenham England and appeared in Cambridge about 1872. He and Titipo had two children Mary and William before Titipo died. She is buried in the Matangi Cemetery.

William advertised in the Waikato Times in 1872 that he was “Prepared to Find Competent Guides and Firstclass Saddle Horses to all parts of the Interior” – the beginning of our Tourism Industry.

In 1872 he became a member of the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers but is noted as being AWOL.

He is not only noted as a farmer but acted as agent for the lease and purchase of Maori land, bought and sold livestock and horse breeding. In 1880 he had 70 sheep.

William married Karawhiro Kapu on 20 January 1881 and they had two children – Alice and George.

Many of William’s ventures were financed by his family in England. William’s brother Dr Henry Moon (a dental surgeon) came to Cambridge and bailed William out of many ventures but, after he returned to England, William was declared bankrupt in 1890.

The Moon name is perpetuated in ‘Moon Creek’ which provided water for Cambridge’s first water supply in 1903.

Back

MOORE Henry Whitehorn

Henry was the only son of Dr Moore and came to the colonies in his early twenties. He became a well known figure in Cambridge, being conspicuous for his monocle and good singing voice. He had enough wealth to be self-sufficient, and married while in the Waikato but had no children. Henry became a member of the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers in 1880 and remained with the troop until it disbanded in 1882. He moved to Auckland where he died in 1905 aged 51 years.

MOORECROFT George Mayne

George was born about 1852 and was a constable of the Armed Constabulary when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 17 June 1884.

MORGAN Thomas

Thomas was a widower, his wife having died on the voyage out to New Zealand. He bought the major part of his farm in Cambridge on 27 February 1868, later accumulating 150 acres of soldiers’ land at Pukeroro. On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Tom paid 2 pence an acre on 150 acres – totalling £1 5/-. He is also noted in 1872 on a farm map drawn by Charles Chitty in a report on the district to the Armed Constabulary Commissioner’s Office.

He farmed there until his death in 1902 when he left his property to his niece, Anne (who had been his housekeeper for many years) and her husband Martin Butler.

William Morgan (Tom’s brother) and his wife Anne arrived in 1874 and they farmed a 600 acre farm ‘The Grange’ at Pukeroro. They had 8 children with the farm being passed down to John.

William was well known for wheat growing, breeding fat stock and draught horses.

Another son, William, farmed at Karapiro and there are still descendants in the district.

MORRIS Thomas M

Thomas M Morris was born in 1874 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 8 August 1911.

MORSE Percy Bowering

Percy Morse was born on 14 May 1888 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 29 May 1907.

Back

MORSHEAD John

John was a member of the Duke of Cambridge Lodge and the Minutes of 14 September 1880 stated that a Medical Certificate was read in favour of Mrs Jane Morshead. She died 19 September 1881 and is buried in the Cambridge Cemetery at Hautapu. In the Lodge Minutes of 11 October 1881, Bro Morshead received £12 funeral money on account of his late wife. John became Vice Grand in June 1882 but left the district two months later.

MORSHEAD William

William was born about 1845 and his occupation was ploughman when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 17 August 1880. Mary was listed as his wife.

A medical certificate from Dr Waddington, was read at the December 1881 meeting, in favour of William Morshead, saying he had been unable to follow his usual employment as from 21 December 1881. Then the Minutes of 1 August 1882 say that a certificate was read re Bro Morshead’s wife, Mrs Mary Morshead.

MORTON George

George was born in Scotland about 1827 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 12 November 1863, in Auckland. His Regiment Number was Private 475 and occupation a ploughman.

On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 George paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres – totalling eight shillings and sixpence.

MULLER Wihelm

Wihelm was born on 16 November 1868. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 16 June 1908.

MULLINS Herbert Frederick

Bert, born 1881, was the second son of John Samuel and Elizabeth Mullins.

When he joined the 3rd Company of the Waikato Mounted Rifles on 29 May 1902 he was a farmer, aged 21 years.

On 14 April he sailed with the 10th Contingent on the ‘Drayton Grange‘ to the South Africa War. He was Lance Corporal No.8728. Again in 1905 he joined the Waikato Mounted Rifles.

Bert later became a member of the Cambridge Voluntary Fire Brigade.

In April 1913 he married M Underwood of Hamilton and he died there in April 1969.

Back

MULLINS John

John was aged 24 and a constable in the Armed Constabulary when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 26 October 1872. He married Elizabeth Knox on 6 July 1878 and they had 9 children.

John later worked on the railway, was a gardener, then a labourer for the Cambridge Borough Council. John was killed by a runaway horse while working in Victoria Street in 1916 and Elizabeth died two years later. They are both buried in the Cambridge Cemetery at Hautapu.

MULLIONS Charles

Chas was born about 1858 and was a storeman when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 25 October 1880.

MUNROE Lewis George

Lewis was born on 24 November 1887 and he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 11 July 1911.

Back

MURPHY William

Bill was born 1834 in Lamphole, Belfast, Ireland. He was a miner, 5′ 4½” tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 18 December 1863 in Dunedin. He was a Private, Regiment number 1117 and was granted one acre of land section 356 in Cambridge East and a farm section 52 at Ohaupo.

MURRAY James

Jim was born 1824 in St Ann, Dublin, Ireland. He was a druggist, 5′ 5” tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 1 August 1863 in Melbourne. He was a Private, Regiment number 104 and was granted one acre of land section 472 in Cambridge East and a farm section 41 at Ohaupo. He served with the Imperial Commissariat Transport Corps and was at Rangioawhia on 21 February 1864. (‘Medals to Colonials’ by Richard Stowers)

Jim is recorded in Inquest J1 from National Archives in Wellington as testifying at the – ‘Inquest at Duke of Cambridge Public House on the death of John HURLEY found dead in whare, 3 January 1867. Jim had seen Hurley sitting in a corner of his hut dead. He often had the horrors and said this was his last day. Complained that his stricture was killing him.’

MURRAY William

Bill was born 1826 in Inverford, Ross, Scotland. He was a dyer, 5′ 7” tall, when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 20 October 1863 in Dunedin. He was a Private, Regiment number 752 and was granted one acre of land section 220 in Cambridge West and a farm section 11 at Ohaupo.

MYERS Charles

Charles was born 1827 in Spitalfield, Middlesex. He was an engineer, 5′ 7″ tall when he enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 24 November 1863 in Nelson. He was a Private, Regiment number 948 and was granted one acre of land section 417 in Cambridge East and a farm section 16 at Ohaupo.

MYLES Edmond Michael

Edmond was born 4 August 1876 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 15 June 1897 aged 22 years. His occupation was a railway porter.

Back